Familia Ortiz Díaz

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Chris Martin





Chris Martin

"I create because I have to. It is as essential to my being as the food I eat and the air I breathe."
"My process begins with visions of shape and line. As an object begins to take form, I draw loose sketches of my vision. The forms then begin to take on more distinctive characteristics, and I go over the original drawing with heavier, more defined lines. Once this design has taken form on paper, I chart out the journey I will make with the raw materials. I leave openings in my plan so I have the opportunity to explore avenues that may not have been visible on the original route. I navigate through the process, trusting my instincts as I go. While I keep an eye on the map, I retain the right to be impulsive, to change, and to improve my route along the path of reaching my final destination."

"The process of creating is as important as the finished piece. I find it spellbinding: the hypnotic powers of manipulating hot steel, the meditative draw of hand-finishing a beautiful piece of wood. In my work, I choose to leave some signs of the maker behind. More than just a signature, these rasp lines and grind marks are the visual signs of the process. They help to tell the story of its creation. They also give clues about the maker. These 'fingerprints' are there to be experienced and help the viewer/participant to achieve a richer connection with the work. I am part of the piece, as are the inspirations and influences that came before me."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

What Kind of Car Are You?